I recently relocated to Silicon Valley to pursue a start-up in the social commerce space. I wish I'd moved 20 years ago, but a career in the music biz got in the way. If you're a marketing and business development type rather than an engineer, here's how you'll know whether you'll feel at home in the Valley:
- When you visit the Bay Area for the first time you head straight to the Intel Museum and not Pier 39.
- Signs on buildings of behemoth multinationals, and select sneaky start-ups, inspire wonder at the goings on inside.
- You go uber-giddy driving by Parc or SLAC.
- You understand the billboard adverts as you drive the 101.
- Ripping the screen off an old iMac to replace a borked HDD is fun. So is swapping out the Superdrive in your MBP for a SSD.
- You use the word borked ... and grokked ... and dogfooding ...
- When you tell your partner you're going to learn a new language you don't mean Mandarin.
On reflection, the joy of being a noob :-)
Subscribe to A Word To The Wise Is Enough
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox